Spring Break has arrived in the Central Okanagan and it begins for others around British Columbia next week. There is a lot to do in West Kelowna for locals and visitors alike and below is just a short list of some of the activities and sights that children and adults can take in over the next few weeks.
1. Skiing at Crystal Mountain is a favourite among the locals. The ski season ends on March 17th with a Family Fun Day planned. For more information visit www.crystalresort.com.
2. & 3. West Kelowna has fantastic Cross-country ski trails as well as snowshoeing opportunities. Telemark is open during spring break, but it is best to visit their website for their hours of operation before heading out, as they are not open every day during the break. www.telemarkx-c.com
4. Jim Lind Arena and Royal LePage Place are offering public skating and ice activities and the schedule can be found here.
5. No matter what the season, going to the pool is always fun! During spring break the public swim hours are being extended and there are daily public swim sessions from 1 pm – 5 pm at Johnson Bentley Memorial Aquatic Centre.
6. There are different Spring Break Day Camps available – you can check out the programs and schedules here.
7. The snow has started to disappear and the hikers are starting to come out. This also means wildlife is out and about on the trails too, so please be aware if you are heading out for a hike. The Westside Trail Guide has information on several of the local hiking trails in the area and it is available for download here or in a hard copy format at local accommodator and Visitor Centres.
8. Spring is a perfect time to visit the wineries as the tasting rooms are not as busy which allows visitors to ask away and learn a lot about the wines of the region. For a complete list of wineries in West Kelowna visit www.thewestsidewinetrail.com
9. Step back in time at the Westbank Museum
10. Paintball adventures at Safari Ridge
11. Golf at either Shannon Lake or Two Eagles
12. Indoor playplace for the little kids at Ogoplay
13. A matinee at one of our two movie theatres
14. Bring out those wheels and go for a bike ride along Gellatly Bay or a rollerblade around the paved track at Westbank Centre park.
15. Brush off your racket and hit one of the tennis courts